Pages

"i feel old, but not very wise"

(from An Education)
Little kids deserve more credit.  They are imaginative, creative, and believe the impossible is completely 100% possible.  Nothing can get in the way of them until... They are forced to "grow up".

When I was a wee one, I wanted to be an artist, a fashion designer, and finally an author.  As I grew older and "wiser", reality took ahold of me and shook me until these dreams fell out one by one to be filled with new, practical ones. Wisdom.  What is that, anyway?  This so-called wisdom told me to abandon my fantastical dreams.  I don't like the idea of wisdom being a cruel thing, so I say, wisdom isn't like that at all.

Maybe it's the hot summer sun draining my energy and common sense that's leaving me in such a daydream-like state or perhaps it's the aftermath of finally becoming a high school graduate, but I have finally unattached myself from reality's inhibiting, forceful grasp and let myself be filled with great, magnificent dreams once more.

I tried for so long to become a practical human being (no small feat, I assure you), and once I succeeded to an extent, I found that my inescapable dreaming was snuffed out by discouraging thoughts.  Practical thoughts.  I felt guilty for dreaming.  No one should ever, ever be guilty for having a dream, however impractical it may be.

Wisdom, I think, lies in the little kids.  As we grow older, we must remember to not lose sight of our true desires.  Because the thing about desires, is that however much you try to hide from them or replace them with more sensible ones, they never truly go away.  One day you might wake up and say, "I really wish I would've..."  I'm not going to let that happen to me.

Remember:  "Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible.'" -Audrey Hepburn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least one of my friends hasn't lost it. Thanks for being the sane one :)

Keri said...

I wish there was a "like" button for this post and for Dahlya's comment! xoxo

Anonymous said...

This x10000!

As a dance teacher of mine used to say "Nothing is impossible, only temporarily inconvenient."

Wisdom is realizing that all those dream are what's actually important <3

Anonymous said...

follow your dreams KK

moonshinejunkyard said...

aw, have you ever read Wordsworth? he talks about babies and children are born "trailing clouds of glory" and how as we grow the "shades of the prison house" close around us. i say FREE it all! dreams, playfulness, energy, exuberance...i love what you wrote here!