Pages

get inspired: Dahlya

graphic by me, photos (from left) by A.B. Reich Photography, Kate Roberts, me (I think)

I recently started a new series of posts about my two favorite things:  creativity and inspiration.  As a "creative" person, I am constantly searching for inspiration to fuel my creativity, and I thought it would be interesting to ask others about what they are passionate about.  This is the third interview in the series.  See the previous ones here.

Dahlya has been cracking me up since we sat together in the back of 8th grade English (we may have been shushed by our teacher multiple times).  She is one of my best friends, and I am so fortunate for her friendship.  She inspires me everyday!  Check out her blog Funny is All I Have.


Everyone who knows you knows you're hilarious. Would you say that comedy is your biggest creative outlet?
First of all, thanks for the flattery. My ego just grew about 4.3 times larger than it already was. An yes, comedy is not only my biggest creative outlet, but also the biggest part of my everyday life. Even in my toddlership I can remember attempting to make my peers and family laugh, and when I did not succeed I would say to myself, "I make myself laugh." This is still the case. However, as far as creative outlets go, coloring books come in at a close second.

Where do you look for inspiration?
I wish I had a better answer for this question, but honestly, my inspiration comes from anything and everything. Life is just funny. Also, if anyone ever offers to pay me for being funny- that's super inspiring. 

What's the funniest thing you've experienced recently?
The funniest thing I have experienced recently happened to me two short days ago. I was walking out of Bryant park with my friend, Jen, and a 40 year old gay man with a camera crew and a microphone approached us and asked, "For a dollar, Mindy Kahling or _________ (I can't remember her name)." We answered with a confident, "Mindy Kahling because she's great on The Office and Indian food is our favorite!" To which he responded, "Really? Indian food?" Then handed us both $1 and walked away. We found out we had just been interviewed for the Fuse television network show "Billy On the Street" which is part of the Funny or Die channel and will premiere in December. Look it up, it's hilarious. 

Besides that, I think mostly everything is funny. For example, I'm watching women's swimming in the Olympics right now. They are competing in the butterfly. That's hilarious. Ten women swimming like butterflies in a pool. Butterflies don't swim- they drown. 

This past year you started an all-girl comedy group at your school. Why was this important to you and what do you hope to achieve with the group?
There are a few answers to this question:
A) My all-female comedy group, Damsels in Excess, was mainly started because some friends and I simply wanted the opportunity to perform comedy. 
B) The comedy world is highly dominated by males for many reasons (but is becoming increasingly less-so, thanks to groups like Damsels and movies like Bridesmaids). Not that this is a bad thing, but it's time for a change. 
C) I'm a raging feminist (maybe I'm joking, maybe I'm not).

I hope that with this group, the other girls and I can learn a lot about comedy, have fun, make people laugh, and successfully sync all of our periods at the same time.

I look up to you so much for your drive. What motivates you to achieve your creative goals?
I'm not exactly certain what motivates me to achieve my creative goals. There are many reasons for this, but mainly, comedy is an innate part of my soul (or lack there of). I'm not sure how else to put it. There's no better feeling in the world than hearing people laugh at you... in my case at least. It's the most effective way I can spread happiness without getting STD's.

How would you describe your personal style or aesthetic? 
My personal style as a comedian has yet to be defined, and will never be a static aesthetic, however I sense I'm close to discovering somewhat of a definition of my "persona". I'm fortunate enough to have been born with certain facial features that seem to inspire laughter without me even saying anything. Also, I'm finding that my strengths in the comedy come from thinking in another direction. The medical world may define this as extreme ADHD. I define it as... oh man, I could really go for some mint, chocolate chip ice cream right now. 

I love you.
I love you more. Someday when you're a successful costume designer/ blogger with millions of clients and followers, I'll be honored to live in your basement.

4 comments:

Bookish.Spazz said...

This was brilliant :)

Isaac said...

I wonder if you could build a ladder that would dance the robot...or a dance called the ladder, that you could do on top of another ladder, or maybe even a robot. I bet it would involve a lot of hanging and swinging your arms...

tweaverville-weaving words of brilliance, quirkiness, and day to day realities said...

Both of you are outstandingly brilliant!

Kaylie said...

Thank you! You are so sweet. I hope you're doing well and enjoying what's left of your summer!