Pages

portland city guide: top 5 brunch spots



As Ted and I gear up to move this summer to NYC, I've been thinking a lot about the places that I will miss when we don't live in Portland anymore. I figured, why not share a few of my favorites? Not surprisingly, most lists will involve food.

Before I moved here almost six years ago, I did not fully understand the meaning of brunch. I never was too big on breakfast foods. I had not seen the light. It didn't take much time for me to catch on. Portland takes brunch seriously here. Expect a wait, and embrace it. Grab coffee nearby, and relish each moment of anticipation. 

Screen Door
It doesn't get much better than this. The chicken and waffles and the garden grits are my go-to dishes. They are large portions--perfect for sharing! Everything on the menu is indulgent and delicious. Heart coffee is down the block if you need somewhere to get cozy while you wait.

Sweedeedee
This place is so Portland it almost hurts. I love it. The breakfast sandwich (add bacon and avocado, duh!) and the corncakes are me and Ted's standbys. The Salted Honey Pie s also my favorite slice in town. Grab some coffee and walk across the street to hang out in the grass if it's nice out.

Tin Shed
A new favorite! Pretty standard fare, but done well with flair. They rotate their french toast offering, and it's always good. The best part? Their enclosed, heated patio is dog friendly! Pierre loves Tin Shed just as much as we do.

Classy and reliable breakfast spot, with all the usual offerings, as well as some offbeat options like Crunchy French Toast and Breakfast Nachos (best for sharing!). If they happen to have the bourbon pecan pie, I highly recommend getting a slice.

The Steak & Eggs are the best I've had! Ted and I like to split this dish with something sweet, like the Dutch Baby or Rum Cake.

No comments: